Who doesn’t love a remix of a classic? These BLT bagels are easy to make and taste sensational. Whip them up for your friends or make one for yourself to liven up a mid-week lunch.
What will I need?
- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- ¼ tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 50g Anchor butter
- 2 large ripe avocados
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Small handful of chopped coriander
- 4 seeded bagels
- 4 small free-range eggs
- 1 gem lettuce, sliced
- 8 slices of vine-ripe tomatoes
Makes 4 BLT bagels
How to make a California BLT bagel
- Preheat a large frying pan over a medium heat and add 25g of butter and the paprika.
- Once the butter is foaming, add the bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes a side until crispy and golden (or however you like your bacon cooked). Once done, put the bacon to one side.
- While the bacon is cooking, add the flesh of the avocados to a bowl and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of chilli flakes.
- Mash the avocado with a fork until nicely mushed up, then add the lime juice and coriander and mix it all together.
- Slice your bagels in half and toast them until nicely golden.
- In the same pan you cooked the bacon, add each of the eggs so they’re separate and don’t touch.
- Baste the eggs with the butter to help them along and cook until the whites are done and the yolks are just how you like them.
- Butter your bagels with Anchor and set them out ready to start layering your ingredients.
- Start by spreading on some avocado.
- Add 3 slices of bacon to each.
- Then add the lettuce and a couple of tomato slices each.
- Top with the fried egg, and season to your taste.
- Finally, pop on the top slice of bagel.